Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I seem to really enjoy metaposts. Because they keep getting larger

And larger. I realize somehow I've forgotten the post about last week's case. Without going into too much detail I've been feeling emotionally low, and a blog post that was accessible at any time was the first and easiest thing to forget. Thus, it was forgotten. But it will now be combined with the post for this week.

Ever since the MGSC 300 class...spring 2010? Earlier? I remember blogging about being fascinated with technology(or at least, much of it-when it got too technical later in the class my interest sadly waned). Although I couldn't comprehend its workings, its end product was fascinating, and I liked to at least amuse myself with trying to understand some of it. Thus, this rush of technology companies, including Intel of last week, was all quite fun to read about, even given the geeky language.

Ever since I came to America and owned my first computer, Intel was much like a common noun for me. I would always notice the "Intel Inside" stickers on the computers, but never think much of it. This case allowed me to do so!

Andy Grove was quite an interesting character to read about. I remember watching the Silicon Valley movie(as discussed in an earlier blog post). It was interesting to note the similarities between Grove and Jobs, as far as their authoritarian governing style went-and how that contributed to each company's success. Andy Grove was even more of a character for Intel, however, because he began being authoritarian before he was put in the position of highest power as CEO. At least with Jobs, Apple was half his invention; he created the company, and in a way he had the right to be demanding and strict. Grove...just came right out strict. It was intimidating to read and imagine, and yet kind of inspiring to imagine living up to his excellence. Not sure if I could.

Why does it seem as though the Japanese and their technological innovations creep into every industry? I just have to ask...

To be honest, I can't imagine a day that will come when the age of the laptop computer has died, and it all goes to handheld devices like tablets and smart phones. As much as touch screens are cool-I'm terrible at typing without an actual keypad! And I'm quite fond of typing. I was the weird child who played type to learn over and over for fun.

No matter the direction, I feel like Intel is one of those companies who have handled its transitions well, and will be likely to adapt to coming technologies.

Now, for this week and the TiVO case:
Perhaps it was a good thing these two blog posts are combined. There is pitifully little to say about TiVO. I remember back to the Charles Schwab case when you said that some cases are for analyzing a company's strategy, problems, and future direction, and some cases are kind of just to appreciate or get to know the company. When I was going through TiVO, it really seemed to me that this was one of the second types. Granted, TiVO was not and is not successful, so there is nothing to appreciate,persay, but I thought it was just one of those things to read and go "That's nice"...

I'm still in debate over their technology issue. True, it is a mistake to let their brand become a verb, instead of a brand, but perhaps it was also just one of the things that was bound to go that way? Could kleenex have really, with good company planning, cornered the market on tissues and made people not confuse kleenex with tissue? Could the same be said of google(in its search engine sense, at least). I'm at least somewhat of the opinion that certain things were inevitable. The world was going to want convenience and comfort in disposable tissues sooner or later-there was that much demand. The same with online searching, as the internet grew and web service sped up. Perhaps the same could be said with advanced controls for television viewing, as the population grew more affluent.

Otherwise, all I can is that I'm rather disappointed in TiVO. I completely agree with what was said in class about a genius product not being able to sell itself. Without the right marketing, all that compromise humanity's basic desires is: food, shelter, and sex. All created products are outside of that. Nobody is going to come after an invention without being made aware of its benefits, cost effectiveness, or other good points. TiVO was deficient in this area-truly a bunch of engineers playing around and being happy with creating fancy new technologies because they could.

I don't personally know how much having more partnerships would save TiVO in the long run. I feel like it is almost a terminally ill patient waiting to take its last breath, unless it does indeed come out with the TiVO 2.0 that is again just as disruptive, but keeps this technology well protected. Because the DVR technology is so widespread now, it would take an act of God for TiVO to rise to the top and differentiate, even with all of the help of various partners.

But maybe I'm just a cynic.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think laptops and desktop machines will ever disappear, but the bloom is off that rose--sales will slow down (but not go to zero) as sales of tablets and smartphones continue to go thrugh the roof.
    FYI, Japan made the strategic decision some time ago that the only renewable natural resource they had was people's brains, and the currently highest and best use of brainpower is in the IT arena, broadly defined.
    One last observation re TiVo: IMHO, they made a huge strategic error early on in trying to go it alone--IMHO, they should have licensed their technology and reaped a few bucks from tens of millions of users instead of seeking many bucks from a much smaller number of users....

    ReplyDelete